Friday 2 May 2014

One little Piggy



When I was about seven my mum and dad took me into our local branch of Natwest to open a children’s savings account. Anyone over a certain age will remember that as you saved up with Natwest you were rewarded with piggy banks until you had a whole family.

Well I didn’t save that much so only had two, but my favourite was the first one you get, the baby. One day I decided to count the money in my piggy bank, after climbing up to reach it from the top shelf I tossed it onto my bed while I climbed down. Unfortunately my bed wasn’t as soft as I thought and my money box smashed into tiny pieces.

Well my dad, he can fix anything, and seeing the tears in my eyes he carefully gathered the pieces up and painstakingly glued my money box back together. I still have it to this day.

Those Natwest piggies are worth a pretty penny today, but not mine. It’s not in mint condition, you can see all the cracks where it’s glued together on the back. But you know what, I don’t care, I wouldn’t part with it anyway. It’s one of my most treasured possessions. Not only because it reminds me of my childhood but it reminds me of the love and care with which my father ever so gently put it back together.

Some days I feel a bit like that piggy, like I’ve been smashed to tiny pieces, but that my heavenly father has ever so gently picked me up, and with love and care put me back together. I may not be in ‘mint condition’ I may have scars from being broken, but I am treasured and loved by God. And  unlike my piggy I think when God puts us back together he doesn’t just hold our fractures together with super glue, but he rebuilds, he forms a new creation, better and stronger than before, even more beautiful and precious . 

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3)

How awesome is God! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally, thank you for your blog and all you write in it, your honesty and how you bring hope to others. It encourages me so much. I lived a very psychologically, verbally, spiritually, emotionally, financially abusive relationship and marriage for 20 years with a Christian man and then finally separated after realising what was happening and having got depression and anxiety and fear in my life. He is an alcoholic too with Narcissistic Personaility disorder etc. I have two sons and your accounts of playing together, cooking together and making up games together makes me remember my sons and me. God does restore and God does heal in time and his comfort is what we then are able to pass on to other women who need to know there is hope and there is a way out. Thank you and God bless you richly. PS Am going to try the banana muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement. The reason I write is in the hope of being a help to others going through this, be it women like us who have left and need to be reminded that God is good and God wil hold them up through all this, or women still in the thick of it, who may not even realise they are experiencing abuse and struggle with knowing how a Christian wife should deal with it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.